Monday, September 9, 2013

Mt. St. Helens Expedition above the clouds

Timeframe: Fall 1996

I learned that my coworkers at my new job in Vancouver, WA were planning an "expedition" to climb Mt. St. Helens in October, and they invited me to go along.  If memory serves me right, there were 4 others besides me, for a total of 5.  The person organizing it, told me it is very strenuous, and steep uphill, so between now and then I should be working out my thighs.  I already worked out fairly regularly, and I remember from my skiing days, I would always do a lot of squats and such to strengthen my legs before the first day of skiing, so I followed that same regimen.  However, I don't think anything could have truly prepared me for this day.

I don't remember exact times, but I'm pretty sure we gathered and left Vancouver at 3:00am.  We made the drive to the base of the mountain and I think we began our climb around 5:00am.  I had my ski attire on with layers underneath for warmth, because I was told that, even though it was October, it would be cold and there would be snow at altitude.  I also had thick socks and hiking boots, along with warm mittens and wool hat.  We all also had ski goggles on to act as sun as well as snow protection.  We all donned our backpacks full of bottled water, snacks and lunch, and headed up the trail.  It was chilly, but not cold, and there was no snow when we started out.  The lower parts of the trail were just like any other trail and only had a slight incline.  However, as we got higher, the inclines got steeper, it got cooler and we started seeing signs of snow.  Also, as we got higher, the air got thinner, it got more difficult to breathe and so I just focused on walking.  At one point, I picked my head up and looked away from the mountain and realized we had climbed above the cloud layer.  I had never done or seen anything like this before!  Even when skiing in NJ and NY, we were always below the clouds, but here we were, still in the tree line and above the clouds!!  It was really a beautiful site and the only sounds were those of our boots crackling in the snow and our voices if someone spoke.


Hiking above the clouds!

 As we climbed higher, and the air became even thinner, the trees disappeared and it was only rocks covered in snow.  I was keeping up with everyone and holding my own, but I was really feeling the pain in my legs at this point, as was everyone else.  Between the steep climb and the decreased oxygen in the thinner air, our bodies were struggling to keep up with the demands we were putting on them.  Some of the hikers had brought walking sticks to help  support themselves... basically ski poles.  I was offered one, and gladly took it.  Just the split second that I could use it for support and take some pressure off my legs was a big relief.

Me with the ski pole/walking stick
 Our leader, Terry, who routinely climbed Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood, made the suggestion to lock our knees each time we straighten our legs during a step.  I tried this and was pleased at how well it worked.  The logic is that locking our knees for that split second puts the weight of our body on our bones, and gives our muscles a split second break.  When you are in pain, that split second is like heaven... and it gave me enough relief to keep going, grateful for the very short relief with every step.  At one point we stopped for lunch and to take a break.  We only gave ourselves as long as it took to eat, maybe 20 minutes.  We didn't want to get too comfy or we might not want to continue!  LOL!!  Also, we wanted to keep the pace up so that our chances of making it to the top would be better.


Lunch break above the tree line!
Once we got going again, the difficulty breathing and the pain in my legs picked up right where it left off but with the new walking stick and the advice from Terry to keep locking my knees with every step, I had some relief and was able to keep plowing ahead.  I also did my best to just clear my mind and not think about the pain and discomfort.  I just focused on walking and locking my knees and that seemed to take my mind off of anything else.

The picture above, of the lunch break, shows how there were crevaces... supposedly where the glaciers slid down thousand of years ago, and cut into the mountain.  As we got closer to the top, these got deeper.  The sides were much higher and the middles were much lower... and the snow was now ice.  We started slipping a little bit as we walked but were managing pretty well.  Terry said he usually would come up with "cramp-ons", devices you put on your boots with teeth on the bottom, for better traction in the ice.  He didn't recommend them for us this trip because he didn't think there would be ice this early.  So, we worked our way up, slipping now and then.  At one point, I slipped, lost my balance, landed on my butt and went sliding down one of the crevaces.  I was going pretty fast and headed straight for a boulder so I used my hands and feet to turn myself around so my feet were facing the boulder.  When I hit it, I used my legs as shock absorbers, bounced off, and kept going down.  I finally stopped when I hit a bit of snow and could get some traction.

I was a little bit annoyed thinking that now everyone would have to wait for me while I climbed back up again to catch up with them.  I heard Terry yell to me to stay there and they would come to me.  It seems they were all sliding a bit and decided to abort the "mission" because the ice was only going to get worse.  They didn't want anyone else to fall and get hurt.  So, I waited for them to get back down to me and we started on our way back down.  I was dreading the hike down, wondering what new muscles were going to be sore.  But I was pleasantly surprised that the trip down was WAY faster and WAY more fun than the hike up.  We walked back down through the ice, but once we got to some areas where the crevaces were covered in snow, and not so steep, we started gliscanding, a word I had never heard before.  Basically, we would take a little bit of a run, sit on our butts and slide in the snow until we stopped.  We got some really good runs in and made good time on the way down. 

One of our team gliscanding
I was kinda glad we were headed back down too, because it was getting late in the day.  By the time we got back down to the cars it was about 6pm and we were home around 8 or 9.  I think we stopped off to get something to eat on the way home.  I don't really remember, I was so tired from the day.  I was a disappointed that we didn't make it to the top of the mountain and get to look inside the volcano, which was our original plan.  At the same time though, I felt a different type of triumph.  That day I learned just how strong I could be when needed.  On the way up, a big part of me really didn't want to keep going.  I just wanted to go home and be nice and comfortable... but my spirit of adventure and wanting to get to the top wouldn't let me.  I kept going through the pain and the cold, and was even able to think clearly enough to save myself from possible injury when I slipped and was headed towards the boulder.  This "expedition" gave me a new sense of confidence in my abilities and I would take this into many new adventures.  So far, I have not climbed another mountain, but I'd like to try Mt. St. Helens again, and maybe one day I WILL make it to the top...

7 comments:

  1. Gliscanding - I learned a new word - thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your day with us! was awesome to see those elevation shots and the clouds below too. One thing though we will miss you here in Nevada! Good Luck at your new job Karen.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott, I'm still here... this is something that happened in 1996. I put as my very first line "Timeframe 1996" in order to distinguish historical events from current ones. I've been watching the rides you're posting, and it's been too hot and then my VFR has been in the shop for a valve adjustment. Of course the V-Tec valves were out, so had to wait for the shims to come in. It should be done this week and I'll have it back soon. I will get out on a ride with you guys soon!! :-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! I have riden to Mt saint Helens several times and have always wanted to hike the trails. Its now on the list. Have you ever hiked Mt Charleston in Vegas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jason, yes I've hiked on Mt. Charleston a few times. That is nothing compared to Mt. St. Helens! :-) If you get to hike on Mt. St. Helens, let me know how it was!

      Delete
  5. Yes, not on the same level, but fun. It was June years back and it ended up snowing on us.

    ReplyDelete