Sunday, October 27, 2013

Oregon to New Jersey in a week-- Part 2

Timeframe 1999

This is a continuation of journal entries from my trip cross country.  It picks up from South Dakota....

May 24, 1999
Driving through the rest of South Dakota was pretty uneventful.  Just lots of fields and cows.  I have noticed however, that the bug guts on my windshield are more of a red or orange.  As I drive along, there are lots of bulletin boards.  Some for car and motorcycle museums, some for the "Corn Palace" (not sure I want to know what that is) and some for "Whoa 'n Go's"... their brand of gas station.

I hit Minnesota in the early afternoon and found that the bug guts on my windshield are now a bright green.  You might find it strange that I notice the color of the bug guts, but there's not much else to look at and it's amazing how quickly my windshield gets covered and how thick it is.  I mean after 10 minutes, I've got a carpet on my windshield.  Also, at this point, I'm tired of country stations and commercials for pesticides, herbicides, seeds and seeding machinery.  What I wouldn't give for a Tom Shane commercial right now!!  Hahahaha!!

I stopped in the town of Albert Lee, MN and the first song I heard while I was eating dinner was "Darlin' Pretty" by Mark Knopfler.  I didn't think it was played on the radio, especially in the middle of Minnesota.  I felt a little sad as it reminded me of Keith and I wasn't sure what our future held.

May 25, 1999
Today, I drove through the rest of Minnesota, made it through Wisconsin, Illinois and Indiana and stopped just over the border in Ohio.  The news in western Wisconsin consisted of a couple incidents of deer being hit.  In each case, they gave the driver's name, location of the accident and the damage to the car.  Pretty amazing...

I did stop in Milwaukee for a Harley t-shirt and to get info about the factory.  I found out they give tours on Mon, Wed and Thurs.  Today is Tuesday, so I guess no tour for me.  The lady at the dealership was really nice-- she gave me some key chains and stickers for free.

May 26, 1999
I made it home today.  The rest of the drive through Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey was pretty boring.  However, when I got to I-195 in NJ, it felt good to see all of the vegetation.  I drove across the state to the beach and boardwalk in Pt. Pleasant before going home.  It was good to get back to the boardwalk.  I went to Martell's and had my first slice of Jersey pizza and a fresh squeezed lemonade with the sugar that crunches in your teeth... boy have I missed that!!  Also, there are houses right on the boardwalk, looking out over the ocean, most of them are very nice.  I always loved walking the boardwalk and admiring the houses, wondering what it was like to live there.  There is this one house that has an outdoor speaker system.  It's owned by an elderly couple and they ALWAYS play Frank Sinatra out those speakers.  It's one of those things you can count on.  I had forgotten about that house, but when I got close to it, I couldn't help but smile a huge smile when I heard Frank Sinatra playing.

Since it is still before Memorial Day, most of the people on the boardwalk were locals and they all say "hi" as they walk by.  I noticed them all smiling a bigger smile after seeing my big smile.  I couldn't keep from smiling so big-- this boardwalk was always "my place" and it was good to be back.  I walked to the end of the boardwalk, like I always did... where the inlet and jetty are.  On my way, I hopped up on the unoccupied benches, walked across them, the jumped off, like I always used to.  When I reached the jetty, and older man on a bicycle passed me and said "hi" so I said "hi" back.  The only way to get on the jetty from the boardwalk is to climb through the railing, which I did.  The old man said, "Boy you did that with such ease."  I said, "I've done it a few times."  I went and ran on the rocks on the jetty like I used to and stopped midway to gaze across the inlet, then out to the ocean on my right, then down the inlet to the river on my left.  I wanted to stay longer, but knew my parents were waiting to see me.  So, I ran back on the boulders and climbed back through the railing.  The old man was still there and he said, "Oh you're climbing through again."  I said, "Yup, but in reverse." and I smiled.  He said, "You seem like such a beautiful, happy person."  I said, "I try to be happy.  I'm happy to be back."  I explained that I just got in from driving back from WA state and I came here first.  I told him how important the boardwalk is to me.  I then asked him if he lived nearby and he said he lived just a few blocks away.  So, I said, "Then you know what a special place this is.  "He said, "Oh yes."  He then invited me to sit and chat with him for a bit, but I said I had to go because my parents were waiting for me.  I explained I would be there often and perhaps we would catch up at a later time.
End of the Pt. Pleasant boardwalk overlooking the Manasquan Inlet
 Then I drove home and it was good to see my parents and brother.  We talked for a while and the first thing I did was unpack my stereo and put on my Jonatha Brooke CD.  Finally, some decent music.  They play mostly rock and top 40 out here.  Then, the next thing I did was finish writing this... It's good to be home, have the windows open, and hear nothing but crickets and an occasional dog barking...
 The house I grew up in... and returned to...

No comments:

Post a Comment